Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Labor Day hike...

Since it was a kind of cool day, we headed out to Pisgah National Forest to do a little hiking. We chose Moores Cove because, for one, it's short, and two, there's a nice little waterfall to reward us at the end.

I remember hiking this trail as a kid, and this huge boulder always intrigued me and my brother. Now, my kids find it intriguing!

Ben pretty much stayed close to Mom or Dad. But Josh loved to stop and play in the creek each time the path crossed over it.....can you see him squatted down there?......


I seem to remember this waterfall being a bit wider and fuller. Maybe it looks this way because we haven't had a lot of rainfall....or maybe it just seemed bigger as a kid....





Each boy had to go down to feel the water falling....Josh....


...and Ben. They wanted to take their shoes off and put their feet in, but since they had just been sick last week, we decided this was close enough....


If you know where you're going, either having been there before or have a map, you find a trail that goes on past the first waterfall. (Thanks, Dad...) This little waterfall is just a short ways past the main one....


We hiked another 20-30 minutes (it's shorter if you don't have kids! lol), and stopped at a small campsite for a break.




Then it was back down to the main trail. Ben still had plenty of energy, so he lead most of the way back. He kept saying, "I found the path guys...it's this way...com'on!"

Josh, on the other hand, had wore himself out on the way up...running and jumping and climbing on fallen trees...he's all boy. So he was a little tired on the way back and started to fall behind.

It was a great day for a hike, and we all had fun, especially the boys. We'll have to go hiking more often. (You got any suggestions, Dad? :) )

4 comments:

ellie said...

Beautiful pictures! what a lovely day you had! The waterfall looks so pretty!

Papa-ooh-mou-mou said...

I believe the waterfalls are inversely proportional to the size of the child.
Your pictures look like about how I remember it. But, I'm old enough now to need a big print ID card to remember my name!!
There are dozens of trails to suggest next time I see you, remind me. LOL

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What fun! I wonder if Nana and Papa could keep up? It's perfect weather for hiking! Great photos!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos!! What a lovely place to spend the day!!

TEXT